Overnight oats are a no-cook method of making oatmeal. So, instead of cooking oatmeal on the stovetop or in the microwave, you soak the raw oats with milk. That soaking process allows the oats to absorb the liquid and soften them enough to eat uncooked. You only need to let the oats soak and rest in the fridge for 2 hours. But, it’s ideal if you soak it overnight…hence the name overnight oats!
The next morning you have a ready-to-eat, delicious, creamy bowl or jar or “oatmeal.” The consistency is like a porridge or pudding. It makes for an easy, convenient, on-the-go breakfast that has a more dense and creamy texture than warm oatmeal.
Protein Overnight Oats
With protein overnight oats you can have your oatmeal and get your protein in! Each serving has over 20 grams of protein!
* 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
* 1/2 –3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or water
* 1 – 2 Tablespoons vanilla protein powder
* 1/2 Tablespoon chia seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* toppings: berries, sliced almonds, almond butter (for topping)
1. Combine all ingredients except the toppings in a small container, seal with a lid and place in the fridge overnight.
2. Bring out of the fridge in the morning and stir. You’ll notice that the protein powder, oats and chia seeds soak up a lot of the liquid so you may want to add a little more almond milk or water before serving.
3. Top with toppings of your choice and enjoy. I love berries and sliced almonds or almond butter.